Transfer Policy and Requirements
Deadline for transfer applicants: April 20, 2018.
To be eligible for transfer admission, an applicant currently completing DVM coursework must:
- Have completed a minimum of 3 semesters of coursework at his/her current CVM.
- Be enrolled in coursework at the time the application is submitted.
- Submit all transfer application materials (see below).
- We strongly encourage you to click on this link and read our transfer policy.
All transfer applicants must submit:
- A UGA CVM Transfer application.
- A cover letter stating the reason for requesting the transfer (e.g., financial hardship, medical condition, etc.).
- Transcripts from all institutions attended (pre-veterinary and veterinary*).
- A letter from the dean stating the applicant is currently in good academic standing.
- A $50 transfer app fee (checks made payable to the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine)
*Transcripts from institutions outside of the United States (with the exception of Ross University, St. George’s University, and St. Matthew’s University) must be evaluated by one of the 3 following transcript evaluation services:
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Web site: http://www.jsilny.com/
World Education Services, Inc.
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Web site: http://www.wes.org/
Office of International Education Services
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 520
Washington, DC 20036-1135
Web site: http://www.aacrao.org
The College of Veterinary Medicine at The University of Georgia may accept transfer students from other veterinary schools subject to the policies described below.
Who is Eligible
Normally, applicants attending other veterinary schools in the United States are not eligible for transfer. However, veterinary students may be considered for transfer when they demonstrate unusual hardship documented by the dean of the school or college in which he or she is currently enrolled.
Only legal residents of a state will be considered. Preference is given to qualified applicants in the following order:
- Applicants who have been legal Georgia residents for at least 12 months immediately preceding August 1 of the year of requested matriculation in the College of Veterinary Medicine of The University of Georgia.
- Residents of Delaware and South Carolina (SREB contract states).
- Any legal resident of the United States.
No person is eligible for transfer who has been dismissed or is on probation at any school or college for deficiency in scholarship or because of misconduct.
Applicants will be considered for entry into the DVM degree program up to the third year of the curriculum, when and if space is available, as defined by the Admissions Committee.
The program of study required of the applicant will be defined by the Office for Academic Affairs when the offer of acceptance is made.
Application for admission is made by means of a letter explaining the reason for the transfer request.
The applicant must submit certified transcripts of all completed veterinary and preveterinary coursework. These transcripts should be forwarded to the College directly from the institution in which the applicant was enrolled.
Requests for transfer must be received by the College by April 16.
Decisions regarding admission will be made by the staff of the Office for Academic Affairs. Offers of admission are contingent upon receipt of a letter from the dean of the school or college in which the applicant is currently enrolled stating that he or she is in good academic standing.
Applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision by July 15.