Resources for the Class of 2017
Congratulations on your accomplishments! Welcome to the Veterinary Alumni Association. We hope the resources and links below will be useful to you as you start your career!
- DEA Registration for New Applicants (or go to the main DEA Office of Diversion Control website for further information)
- Know about a great job opportunity? Post job openings here for our students/grads!
- Memorialize your clients' pets with our Pet Memorial Gift Program. You receive the contribution credit and the tax deduction for your gift, and the owner receives a gracious letter acknowledging your contribution.
- Give back to your College by participating in the Veterinary Alumni Association
- Update your mailing address online
- Keep in the loop with social networking! Like our page on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter (tag us in your CVM-related tweets @ugavetmed) and Instagram (tag us in your alumni photos @FacesofVetMed or #FacesofVetMed)! We upload photos and post events on these sites. Our other social sites can be reached via the icons at the top of this page.
- Sign up to receive our periodic alumni enewsletters!
- Event photos are posted on the UGA Vet Med SmugMug site, and photos from older events may be found in our Flickr account. You can easily download full-size images and even order prints from these sites!
- As an alumnus, our alumni magazine, the Aesculapian, will be sent to the mailing address we have on file for you. There's no cost to subscribe! To view back issues, visit the publications archive.
Getting in touch with the College
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us address updates, alumni news or for alumni business.
- Email email@example.com for donations or correspondence with our giving office.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for any general questions, to suggest interesting stories for the magazine, or to send us news and class notes for the alumni magazine.
- Our faculty-staff directory is always available online, and you can visit the departmental pages (see dropdown menu above) to get more detail about faculty research areas
- The CVM's organizational chart comes in handy, too
Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program
The VMLRP will pay up to $25,000 each year toward qualified educational loans of eligible veterinarians who agree to serve in NIFA designated veterinarian shortage situations for a period of three years.
Veterinarians interested in applying for this program may review the eligibility criteria and access the application package at www.nifa.usda.gov/vmlrp.
The VMLRP is a federal program administered by the USDA. The primary USDA contact email for the program is email@example.com.
How to submit specimens for biopsy
- Outside of Georgia, submit samples to the Department of Pathology (706.542.5837, or visit the pathology website and look for links to the various service laboratories).
- Within the state of Georgia, submit samples to either the Athens Diagnostic Laboratory or Tifton Diagnostic and Investigational Laboratory.
How to use referral services in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- Visit our Referring Veterinarians resources page for links to forms and additional information.
- Call the referral hotlines: Small Animal 800.861.7456; Large Animal 800.861.7458.
How to memorialize your clients' pets, or give to support scholarships, teaching, research, and service at the CVM
- Pet Memorials: How do they work?
- You make a gift in memory of a deceased pet (recommended minimum donation is $15 per pet).
- You receive the contribution credit and the tax deduction.
- The owner receives a letter acknowledging the donor's contribution.
- You can donate in honor of one pet at a time or several at once. Visit the Pet Memorials website for links/forms to make your donations.
- Another way to honor or memorialize a friend, family member, colleague, or pet is through our Bricks and Horseshoes program. These bricks and horseshoes will be installed in a garden on the grounds of the Veterinary Medical Center once the garden area is completed. To purchase a brick or horseshoe online, visit the secure Georgia Fund website.
How to get/share more information about the College
- Visit our publications website to see all the brochures, newsletter, etc., that the College produces to help other people learn more about us!
- Our Facts & Figures website also provides an annual snapshot of useful information.
How to earn continuing education credits
- Visit our CE calendar to view all the courses we offer throughout the year.
- Check the Annual Conference website in January each year to see the CE schedule for the conference in the spring.
- Read up on the CE requirements for the state of Georgia to ensure you stay current.
How to come back to the CVM for a graduate degree program
Visit the graduate studies website for complete information on the graduate training programs we offer, as well as application requirements, availability financial support, and much more.
How to obtain copies of your transcript
Visit the UGA Registrar's website to order transcripts, or call 706.542.4040.
Helpful Links for your Career
American Veterinary Medical Association:
AVMA Membership, JAVMA and AJVR
1931 North Meacham Rd., Suite 100
Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360
Federal Veterinarian Accreditation and International Movement of Animals (Certificates)
Dr. Christopher Young (Georgia only)
USDA APHIS Veterinary Services
1506 Klonkdike Rd, S.W., Suite 300
Conyers, GA 30094
Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine
237 Coliseum Dr.
Macon, GA 31217-3858
AVMA Group Health & Life Insurance Trust
AVMA Professional Liability Insurance Trust
Narcotic Registration (DEA Numbers)
Drug Enforcement Administration
Atlanta Field Division
75 Spring St., S.W., Room 800
Atlanta, GA 30303
800.882.9539 (national) or 404.893.7000 (ATL)
Apply online: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov
State Veterinarian and Interstate Health Certificates (Large Animal)
Dr. Wendy Cuevas-Espelid
Associate State Veterinarian
Georgia Department of Agriculture
19 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr., S.W.
Atlanta, GA 30334
Score Reporting & Transferring Scores
Veterinary Information Verifying Agency (VIVA)
American Association Of Veterinary State Boards
380 W. 22nd St., Suite 101
Kansas City, MO 64108
816.931.1504 or 877.698.8482
USDA Voice Response (recorded messages)
State Regulations Retrieval System (24 hour)
Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife and Resources Division State Headquarters
2070 U.S. Hwy. 278 S.E.
Social Circle, GA 30025
Visit their website to find contacts for specific counties/areas.