Charles L. Hofacre BS, MS, DVM, MAM, PhD
Director Clinical Services
- BS (cum laude), The Ohio State University, College of Agriculture, Department of Animal Science
- MS, The Ohio State University, College of Agriculture, Department of Poultry Science
- DVM, The Ohio State University, College of Veterinary Medicine
- MAM, The University of Georgia, College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Avian Medicine
- PhD, The University of Georgia, College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Medical Microbiology
My area of interest is in clinical avian medicine. I primarily work with the avian medicine students and the poultry industry in Georgia and throughout the Southeastern United States.
I will do collaborative research with other researchers in our department or other institutions. Presently my area of research interest is in organisms that can cause food borne illness in people (salmonella, E.coli, Campylobacter). I want to help the poultry industry find practical ways to reduce these bugs on the final product. I also will work with Dr. John Maurer and Dr. Margie Lee on finding ways to reduce antibiotic resistant bacteria on poultry products that could potentially cause bacteria in people.
My teaching and clinician responsibility account for 80% of my time, so I spend most of it in the diagnostic lab or out in the field with the poultry industry. I also serve as the Secretary-Treasurer for the American Association of Avian Pathologists, and as a member of the Humane Heartland Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Alali, Walid; Hofacre, Charles; Mathis, Greg; Faltys, Gary. Effect of essential oil compound on shedding and colonization of Salmonella enterica serovar Heidelberg in broilers. Poultry Sci. 92:836-841. 2013.
- Behnke, Elena L., Charles L. Hofacre, Roy D. Berghaus. Estimation of the Prevalence of Salmonella species on the Slatted Area Compared to the Scratch Area of Broiler Breeder Chicken Houses. Avian Diseases: September 2013, Vol. 57, No. 3, pp. 634-639.
- Berghaus, Roy D.; Thayer, Stephan G.; Law, Bibiana F.; Mild, Rita M.; Hofacre, Charles L.; Singer, Randall S. Enumeration of Salmonella and Campylobacter in Environmental Farm Samples and Processing Plant Carcass Rinses from Commercial Broiler Chicken Flocks. Appl. Envir. Microbiol. Vol. 79, No. 13, pp. 4106-4114. 2013.
- Minicozzi, Joseph; Sanchez, Susan; Lee, Margie; Holt, Peter; Hofacre, Charles; Maurer, John. Development of Recombinant Flagellar Antigens for Serological Detection of Salmonella enterica Serotypes Enteritidis, Hadar, Heidelberg, and Typhimurium in Poultry. Agriculture 2013, 3, 381-397.
- Pedroso, Adriana; Anne Hurley-Bacon; Andrea Zedek; Tiffany Kwan; Andrea Jordan, Gloria Avellaneda; Charles Hofacre; Brian Oakley; Stephen Collett; John Maurer; Margie Lee. Can Probiotics Improve the Environmental Microbiome and Resistome of Commercial Poultry Production? Food Safety and Public Health. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 10, 4534-4559. 2013.
- Alali, Walid, Hofacre, Charles, Mathis, Greg, Faltys, Gary, Ricke, Steven, and Doyle, Michael. Effect of Non-pharmaceutical Compounds on Shedding and Colonization of Salmonella Heidelberg in Broilers. J. Appl. Poultry Research. Submitted March, 2012.
- O’Kane, Peter M., Stephan G. Thayer, Ceaser G. Wilsmann, Denise L. Brinson, Rodrigo A. Espinosa, Bwalya Lungu, Nelson A. Cox, Roy Berghaus, Margie D. Lee, Charles L. Hofacre. No detection of Campylobacter in experimentally reared broiler chickens from a positive breeder flock using culture and PCR. Avian Diseases. Submitted March, 2012.
- Lungu, Bwalya W., Douglas Waltman, Roy Berghaus, and Charles L. Hofacre. Comparison of a Real-Time PCR Method with a Culture Method for the Detection of Salmonella enterica Serotype Enteritidis in Naturally Contaminated Environmental Samples from Integrated Poultry Houses. J. of Food Prot. 75:743. 2012.
- Berghaus, R.D., S.G. Thayer, J.J. Maurer, and C.L. Hofacre. Effect of vaccinating breeder chickens with a killed Salmonella vaccine on Salmonella prevalences and loads in breeder and broiler chicken flocks. J.Food Prot. 74(5):727-734. 2011.
- Alali, W.Q., C.L. Hofacre, G.F. Mathis, A. Batal. Effect of Plant-based Protein Meal Use in Poultry Feed on Colonization and Shedding of Salmonella heidelberg in Broiler Birds. Agriculture, Food and Analytical Bacteriology 1(1):45-53. 2011.
- Knap, I., A. B. Kehlet, M. Bennedsen, G. F. Mathis, C. L. Hofacre, B. S. Lumpkins, M. M. Jensen, M. Raun, and A. Lay. Bacillus subtilis (DSM17299) significantly reduces Salmonella in broilers. Poult. Sci. 90:1690-1694. 2011.
- Parker, W.D., B. Lungu, R.D. Berghaus, H.S. Sellers, I.R. Alvarado and C.L. Hofacre. Comparison of real-time PCR with conventional PCR and culture to assess the efficacy of a live attenuated Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium vaccine against Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis in commercial leghorn chicks vaccinated under field and laboratory conditions. Avian Dis. 55:248-254. 2011.
- Berrang, M.E., R.J. Meinersmann and C.L. Hofacre. Spray washing, absorbent cornstarch powder, and drying time to reduce bacterial numbers on soiled transport cage flooring. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 20:378-382. 2011.
- Berrang, M.E, C.L. Hofacre and R.J. Meinersmann. Forced Hot Air to Dry Feces and Kill Bacteria on Transport Cage Flooring. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 20:67-572. 2011.
- Amerah, A.M., G. Mathis and C. L. Hofacre. Effect of Xylanese and a blend of essential oils on performance and Salmonella colonization of broiler chickens challenged with Salmonella Heidelberg. Poultry Sci. 91:943-947. 2011.
- Berghaus, R.D., S.G. Thayer, J.J. Maurer, and C.L. Hofacre. Effect of vaccinating breeder chickens with a killed Salmonella vaccine on Salmonella prevalences and loads in breeder and broiler chicken flocks. J. Food Prot. 74(5):727-734. 2011.
- Williams, Susan M., John A. Smith, Maricarmen Garcia, Denise Brinson, Matti Kiupel, and Charles Hofacre. Severe histiolymphocytic and heterophilic bronchopneumonia as a reaction to in-ovo fowlpox vaccination in broiler chicks. Vet. Pathol. 47:176-179. 2010.
- Miller, Ross W., James Skinner, Alexander Sulakvelidze, Greg F. Mathis, and Charles L. Hofacre. Bacteriophage therapy for control of necrotic enteritis of broiler chickens experimentally infected with Clostridium perfringens. Avian Dis. 54:33–40. 2010.
- Dorea, F.C., A.R. Vieira, C.L. Hofacre, D. Waldrip, and D.J. Cole. Research Note-Stochastic model of the potential spread of highly pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) from an infected commercial broiler operation in Georgia. Avian Dis. 54:713-719. 2010.
- Knap, Inge, Bente T. Lund, Anée Berg Kehlet, C. L. Hofacre, and Greg F. Mathis. Research Note-Bacillus licheniformis prevents necrotic enteritis in broiler chickens. Avian Dis. 54:931-935. 2010.
- Mead, Geoffrey, Anna M. Lammerding, Nelson Cox, Michael P. Doyle, Florence Humbert, Alexander Kulikovskiy, Alexander Panin, Vladimir Pinheiro do Nascimento, Martin Wierup and the Salmonella on Raw Poultry Writing Committee. Scientific and Technical Factors Affecting the Setting of Salmonella Criteria for Raw Poultry: A Global Perspective. J. Food Prot. 73(8). 1566-1590. 2010.
- Dorea, F.C., R. Berghaus, C. Hofacre, and D.J. Cole. Survey of Biosecurity protocols and practices adopted by growers on commercial poultry farms in Georgia, U.S.A. Avian Dis. 54:1007-1015. 2010.
- Dorea, Fernanda C., Dana J. Cole, Charles Hofacre, Katherine Zamperini, Demetrius Mathis, Michael P. Doyle, Margie D. Lee, and John J. Maurer. Effect of Salmonella vaccination of breeder chickens on contamination of broiler chicken carcasses in integrated poultry operations. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. Vol. 76, No. 23, pp. 7820–7825. 2010.
- Zhang, Guopeng, Greg F. Mathis, Charles Hofacre, Parastoo Yaghmaee, Richard A. Holley, and Tim D. Durance. The effect of a radiant energy-treated lysozyme antimicrobial blend on the control of clostridial necrotic enteritis in broiler chickens. Avian Dis. 54:1298-1300. 2010.
- Vieira, Antonio R., Chuck L. Hofacre, John Smith, and Dana Cole. Human contacts and potential pathways of disease introduction on Georgia Poultry Farms. Avian Dis. 53:55-62. 2009.
- Hong, Yang, Tongrui Liu, Margie D. Lee, Charles L. Hofacre, Marie Maier, David G. White, Sherry Ayers, Lihua Wang, Roy Berghaus, and John J. Maurer. A rapid screen of broth enrichments for Salmonella enterica serovars enteritidis, Hadar, Heidelberg, and Typhimurium by using an allelotyping multiplex PCR that targets O- and H- antigen alleles. J. Food. Prot. 72(10):2198-2201. 2009.
- Hong, Yang, Tongrui Liu, Margie D. Lee, Charles L. Hofacre, Marie Maier, David G. White, Sherry Ayers, Lihua Wang, Roy Berghaus, and John J. Maurer. Rapid screening of Salmonella enterica serovars Enteritidis, Hadar, Heidelberg and Typhimurium using a serologically-correlative allelotying PCR targeting O and H antigen alleles. BMC Microbiol. 8:178. 2008. (Highly accessed.)
- Lu, Jingrang, Charles Hofacre, Fred Smith, Margie D. Lee. Effects of feed additives on the development on the ileal bacterial community of the broiler chicken. Animal: The International Journal of Animal Bioscience 2(5):669-676. 2008.
- McDougald, L.R., C. Hofacre, G. Mathis, L. Fuller, J.L. Hargrove, P. Greenspan, and D.K. Hartle. Enhancement of resistance to coccidiosis and necrotic enteritis in broiler chickens by dietary muscadine pomace. Avian Dis. 52:646-651. 2008.
- Collier, C. T., C. L. Hofacre, A. M. Payne, D. B. Anderson, P. Kaiser, R. I. Mackie and H. R. Gaskins. Coccidia-induced mucogenesis promotes the onset of necrotic enteritis by supporting Clostridium perfringens growth. Vet. Inf. & Immun. 122:104-115. 2008.
- Hofacre, C.L., R.S. Singer and T.J. Johnson. Antimicrobial Therapy (Including Resistance). In: Diseases of Poultry, 13th Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Ames, IA. 2013.
- Glisson, J.R., C.L. Hofacre and J.P. Christensen. Fowl Cholera. In: Diseases of Poultry, 13th Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Ames, IA. 2013.
- Hofacre, Charles L., Jenny A. Fricke and Tom Inglis. Antimicrobial Drug Use in Poultry. In: Antimicrobial Therapy in Veterinary Medicine, Fifth Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Ames, IA. 2013.
- Hofacre, C.L. Necrotic Enteritis. In: The Merck Veterinary Manual, 10th edition. 2010.
- Hofacre, C.L. Avian Encephalomyelitis. In: The Merck Veterinary Manual, 10th edition. 2010.
- Miller, Gay Y., Charles Hofacre, and Lindsey Holmstrom. Farm level control of foreign animal disease and food-borne pathogens. Wiley Handbook of Science and Technology for Homeland Security, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ. 2008.
- Glisson, J.R., T.S. Sandhu, and C.L. Hofacre. Pasteurellosis, Avibacteriosis, Gallibacteriosis, Riemerellosis, and Pseudotuberculosis. A Laboratory Manual for the Isolation, Identification and Characterization of Avian Pathogens, published by AAAP. 2008.