We understand that it can be difficult to be away from your animal when it is sick and hospitalized for care at the University of Georgia Veterinary Teaching Hospital. That is why we are in support of owners visiting their animal, when appropriate. In order to provide optimal care to all Hospital patients, we have created the following visitation guidelines. We hope you understand these guidelines are just that: a guide for you to schedule a visit. Specific visitation availability may vary based on your animal’s illness and the constraints of each medical and/or surgical service. To protect client confidentiality, we are not permitted to allow visits with or discuss the status of patients with anyone other than the legal owner without the owner’s expressed permission.
- *All visits must be scheduled by a doctor, nurse, or student of the service that is providing the care for your animal. This ensures that a representative of the service who is well acquainted with your animal’s status is available during your visit to address any questions or needs that may arise.
- *All visits should be scheduled 24 hours in advance. You will be limited to ONE visit per day lasting for no more than ONE hour.
- *Clients are not permitted to spend the night at the Hospital between visits. Please ask a member of our front desk staff if you need a list of hotels in the Athens area.
- *For visits during normal business hours, please check in with our front desk staff and they will alert the service that you are here. For visits after regular business hours, the service member you are meeting will let you into the building.
- *Clients are not permitted to walk unattended through the main hospital.
Small Animal Hospital:
- *Visiting hours are between 9am and 4pm weekdays and 8am and 10am weekends. The exact times will be set up with a representative of the service.
- *For animals whose medical condition does not allow them to leave the ward for a visit (for example, some patients in the intensive care unit), visits may be limited to 15 minutes. In such instances, you may be asked to wait for the nursing staff to finish their nursing duties prior to your visit.
Large Animal Hospital:
- *Visiting hours are between 12pm and 7pm weekdays and 10am and 4pm weekends, and must be arranged with the specific service.
- *Visitors must remain with their animal and/or their escort throughout the visit.
- *Visits are not permitted for animals in the large animal isolation facility.