There are many reasons to consider the Department of Infectious Diseases for graduate training.
We offer training in many disease relevant disciplines.
Strengths of the diverse departmental graduate faculty include molecular virology, pathogenic bacteriology, classical and molecular parasitology, epidemiology, immunology, avian disease, and wildlife disease.
We offer an excellent training environment.
Important aspects of the graduate training program include:
- Our seminar series features excellent speakers from around the country.
- Five journal clubs cover the range of department research interests and provide important training in critical analysis of published work.
- The yearly department retreat offers an opportunity for our graduate students to present their work to their peers.
- Competitive financial support. Our current graduate stipend rate is $29,000 (PhD) and $26,000 (MS), and the University subsidizes part of the cost of health insurance.
- Another advantage is the low cost of living in Athens.
Our faculty use state of the art tools.
In addition to a range of molecular biology and immunology tools, the department has equipment to support phosphoimaging, quantitative real-time PCR, flow cytometry, computational bioinformatics, and chemiluminescent gel imaging. An on-site electron microscopy laboratory, extensive animal resource facilities, and the full support of an outstanding state veterinary diagnostic laboratory and teaching hospital are also available to support research efforts.
Athens is a great place to live!
Athens is ranked among the top college towns in the U.S. A multitude of campus activities and regional interests makes this a great place to pursue a graduate degree. Athens also enjoys a very reasonable cost of living.
Deadline To Apply
December 1Apply Now!
- Proximity to CDC, USDA, and EPA
- Access to BSL3 facility, Center for Vaccines and Immunology, insectaries, and UGA's Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
- Preparation for a career in academia or industry
- Stipend assistantships and tuition waivers as financial support
Dr. David Peterson
Assistant Graduate Coordinator
Ms. Jennifer Leyting
Graduate School Resources
Integrated Life Sciences Resources
Infectious Diseases Resources
The Department of Infectious Diseases offers graduate study leading to a PhD in infectious diseases. Applicants are accepted through the University of Georgia’s Integrated Life Sciences (ILS) program. The ILS program allows first-year graduate students to explore the research areas of more than 200+ faculty and 14 participating units before choosing a major professor and a departmental home at the end of the first semester of study. A hallmark of this competitive graduate program is its emphasis on existing and emerging interdisciplinary research areas.
- Bachelor's degree or master's degree in any biological science from an accredited institution
- International applicants: equivalent to American bachelor's degree requiring a minimum of four years of training
- Applicants have demonstrated research experience
- Veterinarians seeking a research career in infectious diseases highly encouraged to apply
Fall semester only
ILS Graduate School Code
UGA Education Testing Services Code
|Part 1: Apply to the Graduate School||Requirements|
|1. Online Application|
|2. Pay application fee|
|3. Unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher education|
|4. Test scores
|5. Three letters of recommendation*
(Three individuals listed on page three of your online application will receive an email with a link to access a secure online recommendation submission page.)
*Transfer students can waive this requirement.
|(International Students Only)||6. International Supplemental Requirements (See Graduate School website.)|
|Part 2: Apply to the Integrated Life Sciences Program||1. ILS Background Interest form|
The College of Veterinary Medicine offers a two to three year master’s degree through the Master of Comparative Biomedical Science program with a program of study in infectious diseases. Learn more about the master’s degree requirements and application below.