Professor, GRA Eminent Scholar
Director, Center for Vaccines and Immunology
- PhD (1996) Microbiology & Immunology, Vanderbilt University
- MS (1989) Microbiology, University of Arkansas
- BS (1986) Zoology, University of Arkansas
- Development of Broadly Reactive Vaccines using computationally optimized broadly reactive antigen (COBRA) modeling. Influenza, HIV, Dengue.
- Modeling Immunity to Biodefense agents and influenza.
- Influenza VLP-based vaccines for seasonal and pandemic influenza.
- Pathogenicity/Genomic Modeling of influenza infection in adult and elderly ferrets, and humans.
- Evaluation of human clinical samples following influenza vaccination.
- Development of tetravalent Dengue VLP-based vaccines.
- Development of VLPs for RVFV and CCHFV.
- Multiclade Consensus Env VLP AIDS vaccine.
- Using Consensus Env Sequences to broaden immunity.
- Using C3d adjuvants in a DNA vaccine to enhance the immunogenicity to HIV/SIV, RVFV, Dengue, West Nile, Chikungunya virus envelopes.
- Development and testing pandemic H5N1, H1N1, H7N9 subtypes.
- 1989: Gradaute Student Reseach Award, University of Arkansas
- 1993-1995: National Research Service Award, Vanderbilt University, School of Medicine
- 1996: Sidney P. Colowick Award for Outstanding Graduate Student Achievement, Vanderbilt University, School of Medicine
- 2003: Appreciation of Outstanding Medical Student Teaching, East Carolina University, School of Medicine
- 2008: Pittsburgh Life Sciences Greenhouse Award
- 2013: Fellow-International Society for Vaccines
- Carter DM, Darby CA, Lefoley BC, Crevar CJ, Alefantis T, Oomen R, Anderson SF, Strugnell T, Cortés-Garcia G, Vogel TU, Parrington M, Kleanthous H, Ross TM. Design and Characterization of a Computationally Optimized Broadly Reactive Hemagglutinin Vaccine for H1N1 Influenza Viruses. 2016. J Virol. 90(9). 4720-34.
- Kirchenbaum GA, Carter DM, Ross TM. Sequential Infection in Ferrets with Antigenically Distinct Seasonal H1N1 Influenza Viruses Boosts Hemagglutinin Stalk-Specific Antibodies. J Virol. 2015. 90(2):1116-28.
- Carter DM, Bloom CE, Nascimento EJ, Marques ETA, Craigo JK, Cherry JL, Lipman DJ, Ross TM. Sequential Ferret H1N1 influenza infection in ferrets elicits neutralizing antibodies to emerging H1N1 isolates. 2013. J Virol. 87(2). 1400-1410.
- Giles BM, Crevar CJ, Carter DM, Bissel SM, Schultz-Cherry S, Khurana S, Golding H, Wiley CA, and Ross TM. Computationally-Optimized Hemagglutinin Expressed on a Virus-like Particle Vaccine Elicits Broadly-Reactive Antibodies that Protect Non-human Primates from H5N1 clade 2 Influenza Infection. 2012. J. Inf. Dis. 205:1562-70.
- Giles BM and Ross TM. Development of a computationally optimized broadly reactive (COBRA) hemagglutinin for elicitation of protective antibodies against multiple clades of H5N1. 2011. Vaccine. 29:3043-54.
- Giles BM, Bissel SJ, DeAlmeida DR, Wiley CA, Tumpey TM, and Ross TM. A 1918 influenza virus-like particle elicits long-lasting protective immune responses to 2009 pandemic H1N1 virus. 2011. J. Virol. 86:1500-1513.
- Mahmood K, Bright RA, Mytle N, Carter DM, Crevar CJ, Achenbach JE, Heaton PM, Tumpey TM, Ross TM. H5N1 VLP vaccine induced protection in ferrets against lethal challenge with highly pathogenic H5N1 influenza viruses. Vaccine. 2008. 26:5393-5393.
- Bhardwaj N, Heise MT, Ross TM. DNA and alphavirus replicon vaccines encoding Gn elicit protective immune response against lethal Rift Valley Fever virus infection. 2009. PLoS NTD.
- Green TD, Montefiori DC, Ross TM. Enhancement of antibodies to the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope by using the molecular adjuvant C3d. J Virol. 2003. 77:2046-2055