Give now!

Department of Large Animal Medicine

Internship & Residency Programs

Rotating Hospital Internships

Interns and residents working in the Department of Large Animal Medicine primarily provide care for animals presented to the Teaching Hospital. The Rotating Hospital interns are involved in handling 2500-3000 cases each year. The caseload is approximately 90% equine and the remaining 10% is composed of camelids, small ruminants, and cattle. Rotating Hospital Interns spend their time on the internal medicine, surgery, and anesthesia rotations. They interact constantly with faculty members in the respective services, assist in teaching final year veterinary students and may attend rounds and seminars in other departments.

The interns are an integral part of each rotation and participate in many ways:

  • The diagnosis and treatment of cases on a daily basis under the supervision of faculty members.
  • Assist faculty in the instruction and supervision of veterinary students.
  • Present cases in rounds for students, interns, and residents.
  • Provide emergency care to patients on a rotating basis.

This program is suited to a wide range of recently graduated veterinarians interested in all aspects of general large animal — and more specifically equine — medicine and surgery. Veterinarians who have completed this internship have entered diverse fields; many have progressed into specialty practice, including surgery, medicine, pathology, and radiology, while others have elected to pursue general practice.

The Teaching Hospital includes two equine surgery suites, a bovine surgery room, radiology facilities, nuclear scintigraphy, and ultrasonography. The clinical services are busy, and interns and residents get a lot of hands-on experience and participate in an active after-hours emergency service.

The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.

Farm Practice Internship

The University of Georgia Veterinary Teaching Hospital is offers two internships in Farm Practice and Theriogenology which are designed to provide training and knowledge in the majority of large animal species including horses, dairy cattle, beef cattle, sheep, goats, and swine (limited to pet animals).The bulk of the intern's time will be spent with the Farm Practice clinicians seeing animals in the local practice environment and teaching final-year veterinary students. Time also will be scheduled for the Theriogenology and Production Medicine rotations, with the final aim being to provide the intern with a well-rounded year, and exposure to several aspects of large animal practice.

Interns work under the supervision of senior staff members and are responsible for:

  • Primary participation in the daily activities of the Farm Practice service with on-farm calls.
  • Participation in Theriogenology cases on a scheduled basis.
  • Providing assistance in the instruction and supervision of veterinary students.
  • Providing emergency care to patients on a rotating basis.
  • Submitting a scientific paper suitable for publication in a referred journal for completion of the internship.

Interns are encouraged to attend, and are scheduled to participate in, Farm Practice and Theriogenology rounds and seminars. Adequate time is allowed for consultation with senior staff members concerning cases, as well as for study and recreation.

The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.

Download Internship Application DOWNLOAD

Be part of the CVM Team. Give today! Ok, let's do it!