Simon R. Platt BVM&S, MRCVS, DACVIM (Neurology), DECVN
Professor of Neurology and Neurosurgery
Dr. Simon Platt received his veterinary degree from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1992. Following that, he undertook an internship in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery at the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph and a two-year period in private practice in England.
Dr. Platt completed a residency in neurology and neurosurgery in 1998 at the University of Florida and afterward spent two years as an assistant professor of Neurology at the University of Georgia. In 2000, Dr. Platt returned to the UK where he was Head of the Neurology/Neurosurgery service at the Animal Health Trust until 2006. Since then he has been an associate professor and then professor in the Dept. of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery at the University of Georgia.
Dr. Platt has authored or co-authored more than 190 journal articles and 50 book chapters and is the co-editor of three textbooks: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Neurology; the Manual of Small Animal Neurological Emergencies; and, Canine and Feline Epilepsy: Diagnosis and Management.
- Ischemic disease of the CNS (canine stroke)
- Canine brain tumors
- International Veterinary Epilepsy Task Force (2014-present; one of four US neuroscientists on 26-member task force)
- ACVIM Neurology Specialty, president (2011-2014)
- Southeastern Veterinary Neurology Group (SEVEN), founding member
- David Tyler Award for Innovative Teaching, UGA, 2012
- Clinical Research Award, UGA, 2010
- BSAVA Blaine Award for Outstanding Contributions to Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, 2005
- AAVC National Resident of the Year, 1998
- Zhao Q, Lee S, Kent M, Schatzberg S, PLATT S. Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of canine brain tumors. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2010 Mar-Apr;51(2):122-9.
- Matiasek LA, PLATT SR, Adams V, Scase TJ, Keys D, Miller J, Adamo F, Long S, Matiasek K. Ki-67 and vascular endothelial growth factor expression in canine intracranial meningiomas in dogs. J Vet Int Med 2009:23;146-151
- C Courtay-Cahan, SR PLATT, L De Risio, M Starkey. Preliminary analysis of genomic abnormalities in canine meningiomas. Vet Comp Onc 2008;6:182-192
- L De Risio, V Adams, R Dennis, F McConnell, S PLATT. Magnetic resonance imaging findings and clinical associations in 52 dogs with suspected ischaemic myelopathy. J Vet Int Med 2007; 21:1290-1298.
- S.R.PLATT. The role of glutamate in central nervous system health and disease: A review. The Veterinary Journal 2007 Mar; 173(2):278-286
- S.R.PLATT, T. J. Scase, V. Adams, L. Wieczorek, J. Miller, F. Adamo, S Long. Vascular endothelial growth factor expression in canine intracranial meningiomas and association with patient survival. J Vet Int Med 2006;20:663-668
- PLATT SR. Angiogenesis and cerebral neoplasia. Vet Comp Onc 2005;3:123-138
- McConnell JF, Garosi L, PLATT SR. MRI findings of presumed cerebellar cerebrovascular accident in twelve dogs. Vet Radiol & Ultrasound 2005;46;1-10