Visiting Student Extern Information
Thank you for your interest in visiting the University of Georgia, College of Veterinary Medicine as a visiting extern! We have over 20 rotations in which external students are permitted to participate (outlined below).
To be eligible to participate in our externship program, you must:
- Be a currently enrolled degree seeking student in a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program
- Be a clinical rotation student at the time of your externship at UGA
If your externship application is accepted, you will be required to provide the UGA CVM with:
- Proof of personal health insurance coverage
- Proof of student professional liability insurance coverage (PLIT)
- Proof of appropriate rabies immunoprophylaxis
- Immunization records
- A signed waiver of acknowledgment of risk liability (to be provided by UGA)
- Signature on the application form acknowledging good academic and professional standing from the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs (or equivalent Academic Affairs representative) at your home institution.
- A copy of your passport & visa information (if international)
After your survey is received, you will be sent an email confirming or denying your schedule and rotation requests within 5 business days. If your application is accepted, the process for submitting your supplemental information will be outlined.
Students visiting from AVMA Accredited Veterinary programs (with full service teaching hospitals) are permitted to visit for up to 6 weeks without paying a fee. If your institution is an AVMA Accredited Veterinary Program but does not have a full-service teaching hospital or is not an AVMA accredited institution (and we do not have a signed MOU from your home institution), you will be charged out of state tuition per week for this externship (est. @$1200.00 per week.) Students from non-accredited programs that do not have a MUO with the UGA College of Veterinary Medicine that wish to observe only will be charged a $100 application processing fee.
Please see our Policy for Students Seeking Clinical Rotation Externship Experience for full details.
Please note – Most rotations will not be available during all outlined blocks.
- Large Animal Anesthesia
- Large Animal Internal Medicine
- Large Animal Surgery
- Large Animal Emergency Medicine & Surgery
- General Theriogenology
- Exotics, Wildlife & Zoo Clinical Medicine
- Small Animal Anesthesia
- Small Animal Community Practice
- Small Animal General Surgery
- Small Animal Ophthalmology
- Small Animal Orthopedic Surgery
- Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Small Animal Neurology
- Small Animal Nutrition
- Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care
- Practice Management
- Diagnostic Pathology
- Avian Histopathology*
- Avian Medicine*
- Beef Production (LOCATED IN TIFTON, GA)
- Beef or Dairy Production Medicine*
- Anatomic Pathology*
- Wildlife Population Health (SCWDS)*
*requires additional faculty approval
The UGA CVM rotation schedule is set up in 3 week blocks. Most of our rotations require attendance during all 3 weeks of the Block to be considered for acceptance. We are unable to accommodate externs during March or April. We begin accepting visiting student applications for May and beyond in January of the same calendar year.
Please reference our 2019-2020 Block Calendar for a complete rotation schedule. Applications must be received in their entirety and approved a minimum of 60 days before your anticipated start date.
If you have any questions regarding the UGA visiting extern program please contact: