Transfer policy

Wanting to make a change?

Students look to transfer for a variety of reasons. If you find yourself in that position, we do take transfer students in certain situations. Read on to find out what you need to do.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible to transfer?

Normally, students attending other veterinary schools in the United States are not eligible for transfer. However, you may be considered for transfer if you demonstrate unusual hardship documented by the dean of your current school or college.

No one who has been dismissed or is on probation at any school or college for deficiency in scholarship or because of misconduct is eligible for transfer.

How do I apply to transfer?

To apply to transfer, write a letter explaining the reason for the transfer request.

You then must submit certified transcripts of all completed veterinary and pre-veterinary coursework. These transcripts should be forwarded to the College directly from the institution in which you were enrolled. Offers of admission are contingent upon receipt of a letter from the dean of the school or college where you are currently enrolled stating that he or she is in good academic standing.

To be eligible for transfer admission into the second year of our curriculum, you must:

  • Have completed a minimum of two semesters of coursework at your current CVM. Although three or more semesters is more typical of successful students due to differences in the sequencing of courses between universities.
  • Be enrolled in DVM coursework at the time the application is submitted.
  • Submit all transfer application materials:
    • A UGA CVM Transfer application.
    • A cover letter stating the reason for requesting the transfer (e.g., financial hardship, medical condition, etc.).
    • A letter from the dean stating you are currently in good academic standing.
    • Official Transcripts from all institutions attended (pre-veterinary and veterinary). Send them directly to the College of Veterinary Medicine by mail or email.

What if I’m transferring from a non-US veterinary school?

If you are currently a student at a veterinary school outside of the United States, you must follow the same process for application; however, your transcripts must be evaluated by one of the three following transcript evaluation services listed. You do not have to do this step if you are a student at Ross University, St. George’s University, or St. Matthew’s University.

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.

International Education Consultants

7101 SW 102 Avenue

Miami, FL 33173

Phone: 305.273.1616

Fax: 305.273.1338


Web site:


World Education Services, Inc.

Bowling Green Station

P.O. Box 5087

New York, NY 10274-5087

Phone: 212.966.6311

Fax: 212.739.6100

(800) 937-3895


Web site:


Office of International Education Services

American Association of Collegiate Registrars and

Admissions Officers

One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 520

Washington, DC 20036-1135

Phone: 202.293.9161

Fax: 202.822.3940


Web site:

What are the deadlines?

Requests for transfer must be received by April 22, 2022 for the 2022-23 academic year.

Decisions regarding admission will be made by the Admissions Committee. Applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision by the end of June.