Animal Care Manager
Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary
Locust Grove, Georgia
Do you love to work with a diverse group of animals in a beautiful setting? We have an immediate opening for an Animal Care Manager at our Sanctuary located just south of Atlanta. This position will oversee the Animal Care Department. The position will be ultimately responsible for all aspects of daily animal care in the Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary and Keeper performance. This is a full time position with benefits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AN RESPONSIBILITIES
• Ensure that the highest animal care and welfare standards are upheld and continuously improved upon according to established policies and procedures, and standards set by regulatory agencies.
• Provides daily care to animals and their enclosures. Including, but not limited to cleaning, feeding, watering, securing, observing, animal training and enrichment, record keeping and maintaining exhibits.
• Responsible for oversight, performance evaluations, and resolving personnel issues for direct reports. Currently, 3 Lead Keepers.
• Ensure that Animal Keeper staff is allocated appropriately for optimal animal care, including arranging coverage for vacation, illnesses and other absences for the animal management department.
• Identify and report potential safety problems, finding ways to reduce risks and injuries.
• Represent the veterinary needs and interests of the animals to the Veterinarians.
• Facilitate, oversee and evaluate the behavioral husbandry and enrichment programs.
• Prepares and distributes animal diets as determined by nutrition consultants.
• Track pending maintenance and improvement work requests for animal exhibits and holding areas, authorizing and prioritizing those requests.
• Tasks may include heavy manual and skilled work such as moving and manipulating heavy food items, hoses, bales of hay, equipment and crated animals.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITITES
• Experience with a broad range of species.
• Knowledge of animal behavior as an indication of general health, reproductive potential and well being. Ability to exercise sound judgment in emergency situations, and to respond with appropriate action.
• Knowledge of occupational hazards involved and the safe work practices to employ while in proximity of potentially dangerous animals. Experience training others.
• Successfully demonstrated leadership and management skills with a minimum of one to two years’ supervisory experience.
• Capacity to achieve results working both independently and as a member of a team.
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational communication skills.
• Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks.
• This position may require that the individual be available or on-call 24 hours a day; weekend, evening, and holiday work may be required.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in Biological Sciences (i.e. Biology, Zoology, and Ecology) or a closely related discipline is preferred.
• Previous experience performing animal care activities in a zoo, sanctuary or like institution is required. Experience in managing others.
• Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time.
• Ability to regularly perform a variety of physical tasks that include but are not limited to climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, and crawling.
• Physical strength, including ability to frequently move up to fifty (50) pounds.
• Ability to work in small, confined spaces.
• Ability to work in all weather conditions.
• Ability to wear requisite Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that may include rubber/latex gloves, steel-toed boots/shoes, face shields, eye goggles.
• No allergy related to plants or animals that may interfere with the ability to work
• No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch balance and ability of movement that might interfere with ability to work
• Available to work all necessary hours, including weekends, holidays, special events and all shifts if needed.
• A valid driver’s license with a good driving record is preferred
Contact Tonya Moss at email@example.com for more information and to apply
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary – Animal Care Manager
November 18, 2022
Job Type: Other
Work Type: Exotics
Business Name: Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary
City: Locust Grove
Start Date: 2022-11-29
Contact Name: Michelle Lakly
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (770) 957-0888
Animal Care Manager