Animal Keeper … Full or Part-Time Positions
Under general supervision, participates in all aspects of daily animal care and maintenance at Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary. Responsible for meeting quality and quantity standards for assigned area. Animal species include bears, exotic cats, foxes, wolves, livestock, primates, reptiles and small mammals.
Under general supervision, participates in all aspects of daily animal care and maintenance in the Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary.
• Provides daily care to animals and their enclosures. Including, but not limited to cleaning, feeding, watering, securing, observing, animal training and enrichment, record keeping and maintaining exhibits
• Tasks may include heavy manual and skilled work such as moving and manipulating heavy food items, hoses, bales of hay, equipment and crated animals
• Cleans and maintains animal exhibits including use of chemical agents and special tools which are used to ensure the health and safety of the animals as well as the proper presentation to the public, and maintains biosecurity between managed animals and free-ranging wildlife
• Maintains excellence in enclosure maintenance including furnishing, modifying and performing minor repairs and upkeep as appropriate, and reporting repair needs promptly to supervisor
• Prepares and distributes animal diets as determined by animal management staff.
• Under supervision, administers therapeutics as prescribed by the veterinarian
• Monitors health of animals on a daily basis by observing eating habits, general activity, behavior and appearance, interaction with others, etc. Reports abnormal behavior and problems to the manager without delay. Makes recommendations regarding diet change, habitat redesign and related matters and takes steps to accomplish same.
• Monitors the condition of habitats, equipment and facilities and initiates work orders requests and emergency repairs as needed
• Maintains clean and safe work environment
• Maintains an operational and in-date inventory of equipment and supplies that is stocked and in good working order, and manages repairs for same
• Adheres to established animal handling and related safety guidelines. Participates in established animal escape drills and procedures. Under supervision, captures, restrains, and transports animals
• May be assigned jobs as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITITES
• Knowledge of general husbandry practices and methods
• Knowledge of animal behavior as an indication of general health and well being
• Knowledge of occupational hazards involved and the safe work practices to employ while in proximity of potentially dangerous animals
• Knowledge of materials, methods, tools and equipment used in cleaning operations
• Skill in making thorough observations and documenting observations
• Ability to keep comprehensive and accurate records according to established procedures
• Ability to both give and follow oral and written directions effectively
• Ability to organize tasks and time to ensure timely completion of all projects
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work in any of the assigned animal areas fulfilling all requirements of the title
• Ability to exercise sound judgment in analyzing animal behavior problems or emergency situations, and to respond with appropriate action
• Ability to work with and be comfortable around potentially dangerous and unpredictable animal species
• Ability to work with potentially dangerous machinery, restraint devices and toxic chemicals and/or drugs
• Ability to interact courteously, respectfully and productively with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, zoo visitors and general public
• Graduation from a high school or the equivalent (GED) is required.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in Biological Sciences (i.e. Biology, Zoology, and Ecology) or a closely related discipline is preferred.
• Previous experience performing animal care activities
• Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time
• Ability to regularly perform a variety of physical tasks that include but are not limited to climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, and crawling
• Physical strength, including ability to frequently move up to fifty (50) pounds
• Ability to work in small, confined spaces
• Ability to work in all weather conditions
• Ability to wear requisite Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that may include rubber/latex gloves, steel-toed boots/shoes, face shields, eye goggles
• No allergy related to plants or animals that may interfere with the ability to work
• No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch balance and ability of movement that might interfere with ability to work
• Ability to maintain immune response to exposure to infectious and parasitic diseases
• Available to work all necessary hours, including weekends, holidays, special events and all shifts.
• Available to attend training sessions and conferences as needed.
• A valid driver’s license with a good driving record is preferred
How to Apply
Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary
712 L G Griffin Road
Locust Grove, GA 30248