Healthier pets. Happier people. Better world. Our vision might sound lofty, but we believe it’s attainable when we obsess about providing complete care for our amazing pets. Our approach goes far beyond addressing our animals’ basic needs to support their physical, mental, social, and emotional needs. By being sure we take all these elements into consideration, we can help pet parents take the very best care of their pets.
Gain valuable experience in one of our state-of-the-art hospitals. Grow your skill set and explore future career paths while under direct supervision from one of our highly skilled doctors.
If you participate in our externship program, you can expect to be exposed to, or gain hands-on experience with a plethora of medical, surgical, diagnostic, and dental skills.
Vetco Total Care is committed to the development of veterinary students. As such we welcome the opportunity to participate in accredited Universities externship programs.
Potential Services (Each Hospital Varies Based on Doctor/Mentor)
• Clinical Pathology
• Dentistry (including DDXR)
• Neurology (limited)
• Ophthalmology (limited)
• Pathology (limited)
• Small Animal Emergency Critical Care (limited)
• Small Animal Medicine
• Small Animal Surgery
• Zoo/Exotic Animal Medicine (limited)
• Work closely with mentor for guidance and development of hands-on veterinary experience and knowledge.
• Learn all aspects of hospital environment by observing and participating in procedures with your mentor(s)
• Ensure safety of pets, clients and team members by adhering to all medical standard operating protocols.
• Perform only care that is outlined in a State Practice Act and only under direct supervision of a DVM &/or Licensed Veterinary Technician
• All responsibilities and duties will be dependent on education level and experience.
• Timely submission of all paperwork and licenses required.
Essential Job Skills:
• Must love dogs, cats and people too!
• Team player who thrives in supporting the team in every way
• Strong observational and communication skills
• Ability to maintain a respectful and professional manner at all times
• Initiative: Willingness to learn and take direction
• Problem solving skills: ability to identify, analyze and provide solutions
• Flexibility: adaptable to changing situations
• Vetco Total Care hospital located inside of a Petco pet care center.
• Remember to have fun! Where else will you find four-legged companions sharing a workspace after all? Jump in and enjoy this experience—it’s a special one!
• Must be enrolled in an AVMA accredited program.
• Must be able to provide proof of medical and professional liability insurance
Where are we accepting externs?
NC, SC, OR, OK, TX, MO, RI, MA, CA