Posted by: Angela Ellis, DVM, PhD & Susan Sanchez, BSc, MSc, PhD, MIBiol, CBiol
Earlier this year, an outbreak of salmonellosis was associated with tainted peanut butter products from the Peanut Corporation of America, and products are still being recalled as this article is being written. Although most of the products involved were for human consumption, some dog biscuits, rawhides, and other pet treats were among the recalled items. In addition, many pet owners admitted to having fed peanut butter crackers and other recalled human foods to their pets. Given recent deaths in animals due to melamine/cyanuric acid and aflatoxin contaminated dog and cat foods, it is understandable that owners are concerned about food recalls. However, Salmonella-contaminated pet treats and foods actually pose a risk to owners as well as to their pets.
Continue Reading →