Welcome To The Department of Veterinary Pathology
Pathology is the study of the process of disease, and so plays a role in every aspect of health and medicine. Our expertise is wide and our roles are diverse.
We can be found at the microscope consulting with clinicians about diagnostic changes we see in tissues or cells of an ailing dog. We can be found in the field dissecting a dead cow or pig, in order to find the cause of death and help the farmer protect the rest of the herd. We can be found in the laboratory, performing experiments to further the understand disease and develop preventions or cures. And we can be found in the classroom, introducing veterinary students to the concepts of disease, and facilitating their foundational understanding of mechanisms of disease.
Our faculty and students work with species of all varieties - fin, feather, and fur. They study a huge variety of diseases – infectious, environmental, toxic, and neoplastic. And they often do their work in locations all over the world.
We are proud of what we do. Please take some time to explore our variety and our great big family of pathologists.
Points Of Pride
- Dr. Elizabeth Howerth, professor of anatomic pathology, received the CVM Distinguished Alumni Award from Michigan State University.
- Congratulations to our 2018 CVM Staff Awards recipients: Support Professionals Award: Megan Troutman, Administrative Specialist, Pathology Administrative Office; Service Technician Award: Diane Rousey, Laboratory Manager, TVDIL; and Service Technician Award: Deborah A. Blakey, Quality Manager and Safety Officer, TVDIL
- Congratulations Dr. Lorelei Clarke on successfully defending her PhD dissertation.
- Congratulations to Drs. Megan Caudill, Martha Frances Dalton, Brittany McHale, Chris Siepker and Justin Stilwell for passing Phase I of the ACVP board examination.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jaroslava Halper for her receipt of the 2017 MCG Exemplary Teaching Award.
Kaori Sakamoto, DVM, PhD, DACVP
Date: Aug 16, 2018
Location: CVM, Room 150, Noon
Contact UsUniversity of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine
Department of Pathology
501 D.W. Brooks Drive
Athens, Georgia 30602
Graduate Coordinator's Assistant