DVM, MS, PhD, DACVP
Anatomic Pathology - AVDL
- 2006 – 2010: Federal University of Santa Maria (UFSM), Brazil, Ph.D. (Veterinary Pathology)
- 2008 – 2009: The University of Georgia, Athens, GA, Residency (Anatomic Pathology)
- 2004 – 2006: UFSM, Brazil, MS (Veterinary Pathology)
- 1998 – 2003: UFSM, Brazil, DVM
- VPAT 5400 Diagnostic Pathology (course co-coordinator): This graduate-level course is designed to introduce veterinary students to the routine procedures in the necropsy room. Discussions are performed before and during necropsy and consist of exploring differential diagnoses and practicing description and interpretation of gross changes, as well as determination of ancillary diagnostic tests in each case.
- VPAT 8002 Gross Pathology (course coordinator): This anatomic pathology resident-level course is presented to the anatomic pathology residents or other students. It consists of two portions: (1) Lectures on gross pathology of different animal species; and (2) Gross mock tests based on the American College of Veterinary Pathologists annual certifying examination test.
- AVDL Histopathology Rounds (course coordinator): These are bi-monthly meetings where the anatomic pathology residents examine routine cases and discuss the histological findings and the systematic approach on diagnostic pathology.
Diagnostic Pathology; neuropathology; dermatopathology; education and critical thinking
- Rissi DR, Miller AD. Feline glioma: a retrospective study and review of the literature. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. published ahead of print: doi: 10.1177/1098612X16689506.
- Clarke LL, Beckstead RB, Hayes JR, Rissi DR. Pathologic and molecular characterization of histomoniasis in peafowl (Pavo cristatus). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. published ahead of print: 10.1177/1040638716687002
- Clarke LL, Rissi DR. Glial changes and evidence for apoptosis in the brain of cats infected by Cytauxzoon felis. Journal of Comparative Pathology 156:147-151, 2017
- Rissi DR, Barber R, Burnum A, Miller, AD. Canine spinal cord glioma: a case series and review of the literature. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 29:126-132, 2017.
- Rissi DR. A retrospective study of skull base neoplasia in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 27:743-748, 2015.
- Rissi DR, Levine JM, Eden KB, Watson VE, Griffin IV JF, Edwards JF, Porter BF. Cerebral oligodendrogliomas mimmicking intraventricular neoplasia in 3 dogs. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation In press 27, 2015.
- Clarke LL, Rissi DR. Neuropathology of Cytauxzoon felis infection in domestic cats. Veterinary Pathology. Published ahead of print (doi:10.1177/0300985814564986), 2015.
- Fogelson S, Yau W, Rissi DR. Disseminated Yersinia pseudotuberculosis infection in a paca (Cuniculus paca). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 46:130-134, 2015.
- Yau W, Rissi DR. Cholecystic adenocarcinoma and pancreatic insulinomas in a goat. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 26:827-831, 2014.
- Rissi DR, Brown CA. Diagnostic features in 10 naturally occurring cases of acute fatal canine leptospirosis. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 26:799-804, 2014.
- Additional publications by Dr. Rissi may be found at PubMed.