DVM, PhD, DACVP
- Lilly Teaching Fellow (2005-2006)
- DVM (1988) Cornell University
- PhD (1996) University of Florida
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists (1998)
- On the Origins of Disease (VPAT 4000/6000) - NEW Course
- Musculoskeletal Pathology
- Cell Pathology
- Molecular pathology, specifically the genetic and epigenetic mechanisms associated with susceptibility and resistance to disease. Current projects include the characterization of NF-kB activation in a rat model of virus-induced asthma, in FIV infection and in spontaneously occurring skin tumors in animals.
- Characterization of miRNA profiles in both FIV infection and canine lymphoma
- Assessing the efficacy of influenza vaccines
- Characterization and immunophenotyping of stem cell teratomas
Dr. Uhl is interested in the host factors, particularly cell and tissue responses, associated with susceptibility and resistance to disease. Previous and current projects include: characterization of pulmonary cytokine expression and transcription factor activation in a rat model of virus-induced asthma, transcription factor activation in feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) infection, cytokine expression in respiratory and reproductive diseases in horses, and the molecular pathogenesis of skin cancer in a variety of species.
- Uhl EW, Clarke TJ, Hogan RJ. 2009. Differential Expression of Nuclear Factor-kB (NF-kB) Associated with Increased Pulmonary Expression of Tumor Necrosis Factor-a (TNF-a) in a Rat Model of Virus-Induced Asthma. Viral Immunology 22: 79-89.
- Editors’ Choice as a significant article in the issue
- Uhl EW, Martin M, Coleman JK, Yamamoto JK. 2008. Advances in FIV vaccine technology. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 123(1-2):65-80.
- Deming C, Greiner E, Uhl EW. 2008. Prevalence of Cryptosporidium spp. infection and characteristics of oocyst shedding in a breeding colony of leopard geckos (Eubleharis macularius) J Zoo Wildlife Med. J Zoo Wildl Med. 39(4):600-7.
- Wang L, Schulz TC, Sherrer ES, Dauphin DS, Shin S, Nelson AM, Ware CB, Zhan M, Song CZ, Chen X, Brimble SN, McLean A, Galeano MJ, Uhl EW, D’Amour KA, Chesnut JD, Rao MS, Blau CA, Robins AJ. 2007. Self-renewal of human embryonic stem cells requires insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor and ERBB2 receptor signaling. Blood. 110(12):4111-9.
- Additional publications by Dr. Uhl may be found at PubMed.