Broadreach runs immersive veterinary medicine programs for middle and high school students. Programs include a 12-day adventure in the Bahamas and a more in-depth 21-day veterinary science program in Costa Rica, where students earn college credits on their trip.
Our most successful instructors are positive, flexible, team players who are able to create a fun, cohesive and supportive community. Broadreach instructors are energetic and empathetic role models. They excel in building meaningful relationships with young adults and demonstrate being a respectful traveler. Groups typically have 8-12 students and are led by two Broadreach instructors. Instructors live and travel with their group of students, so this is a 24/7 role, with limited personal space.
Our instructors will lead a for credit, college level course for high schools. Instructors will relay information through lectures, guided discussions, assist with collecting research data and provide context to students as they observe local outfitters. guide students as they observe local partners, volunteer at wildlife centers, and explore animal science career paths. As the academic lead for a program, you will be responsible for issuing and grading assignments including journal entries, research presentations, midterms and finals. We will provide course syllabus and program materials to our instructors prior to the summer.
Responsibilities Include: Managing health and safety of students, maintaining a positive attitude through challenging circumstances, leading games, participating in service-learning activities, developing students’ personal growth, facilitating inclusive group dynamics and demonstrating respectful travel, leading academic discussion and grading student assignments.
– Minimum master’s degree in animal science, or related field, Preferred: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. Vet students are also encouraged to apply for our Bahamas program.
– A passion for mentoring and inspiring students.
– Physically fit and able to participate in adventure activities such as hiking, rafting, snorkeling, etc.
– Strong organizational skills to manage program budgets, student documents and confirm logistics with local outfitters.
– Strong Spanish language skills are preferred.
– Travel experience in Latin America preferred.
– Previous teaching/summer camp experience is a plus.
This is a paid position. Airfare and food/accommodations are included. Our vet programs range from 12 to 21 days, and preference will be given to instructors who can lead multiple sessions throughout the summer. Our summer season runs from June through August.
New instructors are required to attend our staff week-long staff training, in Early June.