The Department of Infectious Diseases offers graduate study leading to a PhD in infectious diseases. We also offer a MS degree through the Master of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences program. If you are interested in our PhD program, start by visiting the University of Georgia Graduate School. This will ensure that you receive contact information for our department, along with notification of important deadlines and funding opportunities.
There are many reasons to consider the Department of Infectious Diseases for graduate training:
We offer training in many disease relevant disciplines.
Strengths of the diverse departmental graduate faculty include molecular virology, pathogenic bacteriology, classical and molecular parasitology, epidemiology, immunology, avian disease, and wildlife disease.
We offer an excellent training environment.
Important aspects of the graduate training program include:
- Our seminar series features excellent speakers from around the country.
- Five journal clubs cover the range of department research interests and provide important training in critical analysis of published work.
- The yearly department retreat offers an opportunity for our graduate students to present their work to their peers.
- Competitive financial support. Our current graduate stipend rate is $27,000 (PhD) and $24,000 (MS), and the University subsidizes part of the cost of health insurance.
- Another advantage is the low cost of living in Athens.
Our faculty use state of the art tools.
In addition to a range of molecular biology and immunology tools, the department has equipment to support phosphoimaging, quantitative real-time PCR, flow cytometry, computational bioinformatics, and chemiluminescent gel imaging. An on-site electron microscopy laboratory, extensive animal resource facilities, and the full support of an outstanding state veterinary diagnostic laboratory and teaching hospital are also available to support research efforts.
Athens is a great place to live!
Athens is ranked among the top college towns in the U.S. A multitude of campus activities and regional interests makes this a great place to pursue a graduate degree. Athens also enjoys a very reasonable cost of living.
Additional Graduate Programs for those holding or seeking a DVM Degree:
We also offer additional graduate training opportunities for those seeking a DVM degree. Click here for information about our DVM-MPH and DVM-PhD programs.
Current veterinarians seeking graduate study may contact Dr. David Peterson for opportunities in graduate training.