Small Animal Internal Medicine Service, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Small Animal Internal Medicine
Canine and feline chronic kidney disease, hypertension and proteinuria.
Dr. Bianca Lourenço obtained her combined DVM and MSc from the University of Porto in Portugal, in 2010. The year after graduation, she worked as a small animal general practitioner in Porto, and in Newmarket, UK. This was followed by small animal rotating internships at the University of Cambridge and North Carolina State University. She came to the University of Georgia for her small animal internal medicine residency in 2013, and obtained her ACVIM Diploma in 2016. She continued at UGA to complete her PhD in nephrology with doctoral research focused on the mechanisms of progression of canine and feline chronic kidney disease. She graduated with her PhD in 2019, and joined the Internal Medicine faculty at UGA in September that year.
- BN Lourenço, AE Coleman, JL Tarigo, RD Berghaus, CA Brown, DR Rissi, JB Stanton, SA Brown, CW Schmiedt. Evaluation of profibrotic gene transcription in renal tissues from cats with naturally occurring chronic kidney disease. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2020 Available in Early View, DOI: 10.1111/jvim.15801.
- BN Lourenço, AE Coleman, CW Schmiedt, CA Brown, DR Rissi, JB Stanton, S Giguère, RD Berghaus, SA Brown, JL Tarigo. Profibrotic gene transcription in renal tissues from cats with ischemia-induced chronic kidney disease. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 2020 Feb;81(2):180-9.
- A Meindl, BN Lourenço, AE Coleman, KE Creevy. Relationships among urinary protein-to-creatinine ratio, urine specific gravity, and bacteriuria in canine urine samples. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2019 Jan;33(1):192-199.
- JM Hoffman^, BN Lourenço^, DEL Promislow, KE Creevy. Canine hyperadrenocorticism associations with signalment, selected comorbidities and mortality within North American Veterinary Teaching Hospitals. Journal of Small Animal Practice. 2018 Nov;59(11):681-690.
^ These authors contributed equally to this work.
- R Prudic, C Saba, BN Lourenço, A Bugbee. Prevalence of Proteinuria in a Canine Oncology Population. Journal of Small Animal Practice. 2018 Aug;59(8): 496-500.
- BN Lourenço, E Randall, G Seiler, KF Lunn. Abdominal ultrasonographic findings in acromegalic cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. 2015 Aug;17(8):698-703
- BJ Harris, BN Lourenço, J Dobson, M Herrtage. Diagnostic accuracy of three biopsy techniques in 117 dogs with intra-nasal neoplasia. Journal of Small Animal Practice. 2014 Apr;55(4):219-24.