Soft Tissue Surgery Service
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- Regenerative Medicine
- Renal transplantation
- Renal disease
- Clinical research in soft tissue surgery including, oncologic and minimally-invasive surgery
Dr. Chad Schmiedt received his DVM from the University of Georgia, College of Veterinary Medicine in 2000, followed by a one-year internship in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery at the University of Tennessee, and then a one-year surgical internship at the Dallas Veterinary Surgical Center. Following his internships, Dr. Schmiedt completed a three-year surgical residency at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. Dr. Schmiedt was a Clinical Instructor at the University of Wisconsin for two years following his residency.
In the summer of 2007, Dr. Schmiedt returned to UGA to join the faculty at the College of Veterinary Medicine as a soft tissue surgeon. Dr. Schmiedt is board-certified by the American College of Veterinary Surgeons.
- Cogar SM, Schmiedt CW, Brown CA, Vandenplas M, Chessman CH, Hurley DJ. Effect of spironolactone for aldosterone blockade on chronic allograft nephropathy in rats. J Nephrology and Therapeutics, 2012. S4:002. doi:10.4172/2161-0959.S4-004.
- Cioffi K, Schmiedt CW, Cornell KK, Radlinsky MA Retrospective evaluation of vacuum-assisted peritoneal drainage for the treatment of septic peritonitis in dogs and cats: 8 cases (2003 – 2010). J Vet Emerg Crit Care, 2012 Oct;22(5): 601 – 609. Epub 2012 Aug 29.
- Schmiedt CW, Straton-Phelps M, Torres BT, Bell DR, Zimmerman SM, Uhl EW, Cornell KK. Successful treatment of Intestinal Pythiosis in a dog with a combination of marginal excision, chemotherapy and immunotherapy, J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2012 Aug 1;241(3):358-63.
- Schmiedt CW, Köhler R, Brainard BM. Use of topical bovine thrombin in an anti-coagulated rat model of hepatic injury. J Res Vet Sci., 2012 Dec;93(3):1498-503.
- Sawyer ES, Northrup NC, Schmiedt CW, Culp WE, Rassnick KM, Garrett LD, Selting KA, Saba CF, Howerth EW. Outcome of 19 Dogs with Parathyroid Carcinoma after Surgical Excision. Vet Comp Oncol. 2012 Mar;10(1):57-64.
- Schmiedt CW, Nelson SA, Brainard BM, Brown CA, Vandenplas M, Hurley DJ. Bilateral renal ischemia as a model of acute kidney injury in cats. Res Vet Sci, 2012; 93(2):950-959.
- Schmiedt CW, Saba CF, Freeman KG, Edwards GL. Survey of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase activity based on uracil: dihydrouracil ratios in normal, tumor-bearing, and renal insufficient dogs. Am J Vet Res, 2012 Jan;73(1):119-24.
- Chelko SP, Schmiedt CW, Lewis TH, Lewis SJ, Robertson TP. A Novel Vascular Clip Design for the Reliable Induction of 2-Kidney, 1-Clip Hypertension in the Rat. J Appl Physiol. 2012 Feb;112(3):362-6. Epub 2011 Nov 10.
- Sakals S, Schmiedt CW, Radlinsky MA. Comparison and description of transdiaphragmatic and abdominal minimally invasive cisterna chyli ablation in dogs. Vet Surg, 2011 40(7), 795 – 801.
- Smith AL, Wilson AP, Hardie RJ, Krick AL, Schmiedt CW. Perioperative complications following full-thickness gastrointestinal surgery in cats with alimentary lymphoma. Vet Surg 2011, 40(7), 849-852.
- Murphy SM, Lawrence JA, Schmiedt CW, Davis KW, Lee FT, Forrest LJ, Bjorling DE, Transnasal Cryoablation of a Recurrent Papillary Nasal Adenocarcinoma J Sm Anim Prac, 2011, 52, 329-333.
- Schmiedt CW, Gogal RM, Harvey SB, Torres AT, Jarrett CL, Uhl EW, Hurley DJ. Biometric evidence of diet-induced obesity in Lew/Crl rats. Comp Med, 2011, 61(2), 131 – 137.
- Grimes J, Schmiedt CW, Cornell KK, Radlinsky MA. Identification of risk factors for septic peritonitis and failure to survive after gastrointestinal surgery in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011 238(4), 486-494.
- Schmiedt CW, Mercurio M, Vandenplas M, McAnulty JF, Hurley DJ. Effects of renal autograft ischemic storage and reperfusion on intraoperative hemodynamic patterns and plasma renin concentrations in clinically normal cats undergoing renal autotransplantation and contralateral nephrectomy. Am J Vet Res 2010, 71(10), 1220-1227.
- Schmiedt CW, Mercurio A, Glassman MM, McAnulty JF, Brown CA, Brown SA. Effects of renal autograft ischemia and reperfusion associated with renal transplantation on arterial blood pressure variables in clinically normal cats. Am J Vet Res 2009, 70(11), 1426-1432.
- Schmiedt CW, Hurley KA, Xiaohe T, Rakhmanova V, Po CL, Hurley DJ. A novel method for measurement of feline plasma renin concentration using a FRET renin substrate. Am J Vet Res, 2009, 70(11), 1315-1322.