Department of Physiology and Pharmacology
Physiology and Pharmacology
- Discipline-Based Education Researcher
- Science Faculty with Education Specialties
- Trained in Reproductive Neuroendocrinology
- First-generation college going
The CORPUS Education Lab stands for “Collaborative Opportunities for Research in Physiology and Under / Graduate Science,” conducting Discipline-Based Education Research. We will work across the academic pathway and are open to exploring all levels of schooling (formal and informal, curricular and extra-curricular) to meet community needs, support our whole selves, and fulfill on under / graduate student interests and motivations.
- Postdoctoral Fellow | Science Education Partnership and Assessment Laboratory (SEPAL) | San Francisco State University
- Postdoctoral Fellow | Hayes Lab | University of California, Berkeley
- PhD in Integrative Biology | University of California, Berkeley
- B.A. in Italian Studies and Integrative Biology | University of California, Berkeley
- Revolutionary Mentoring Award Subcommittee, AERA Critical Educators for Social Justice Special Interest Group
- Scientist Spotlights Initiative
- Graduate Opportunities to Learn Data Science
- Hormones and Behavior (coming soon!)
- Science Teaching for Scientists
- Exploratory Data Science for Scientists
- Learners Engaged in Advocating for Diversity in Science (LEADS)
- Public Engagement in Science
- Recent publications may be found on Google Scholar
- Ovid, D., Rice, M. M., Luna, J. V., Tabayoyong, K., Lajevardi, P., & Tanner, K. D. (2021). Investigating student perceptions of Instructor Talk: Alignment with researchers’ categorizations and analysis of remembered language. CBE—Life Sciences Education, 20(4), ar61. <https://www.lifescied.org/doi/full/10.1187/cbe.21-06-0153>
- Ovid, D., & Leonardo, Z. (2022). She Blinded Me with Science: Post-Curriculum and the New Scientific Education. Journal of Curriculum Theorizing, 37(2), 1-17. <https://www.proquest.com/docview/2720979140>
- Ovid, D., & Phaka, F. M. (2022). Idwi, Xenopus laevis, and African clawed frog: teaching counternarratives of invasive species in postcolonial ecology. The Journal of Environmental Education, 53(2), 69-86.
- Gelinas, K. A., Ovid, D., Amaya-Mejia, W., Ayala, R., Baek, H. E., Gasmin, E., … & Tanner, K. D. (2022). Investigating Instructor Talk among Graduate Teaching Assistants in Undergraduate Biology Laboratory Classrooms. CBE—Life Sciences Education, 21(2), ar31.
- Phaka, F. M., & Ovid, D. (2022). Life sciences reading material in vernacular: lessons from developing a bilingual (IsiZulu and English) book on South African frogs. Current Issues in Language Planning, 23(1), 96-111.
- Ovid, D., Hayes, T. B., & Bentley, G. E. (2018). Melatonin administration methods for research in mammals and birds. Journal of Biological Rhythms, 33(6), 567-588.
- viviD, D., & Bentley, G. E. (2018). Seasonal reproduction in vertebrates: Melatonin synthesis, binding, and functionality using Tinbergen’s four questions. Molecules, 23(3), 652.