Department of Pathology
Anatomic Pathology, Professor
Avian Pathology | Disease Pathogenesis | Neuropathology | Regenerative Medicine | Vector-Borne Diseases | Wildlife & Exotic Animal Diseases | Zoonotic Diseases
- Pathogenesis and natural history of viral, ehrlichial and anaplasmal diseases of wild mammals, hoofstock, cats, and wild birds, including those caused by bluetongue, epizootic hemorrhagic disease, vesicular stomatitis, pseudorabies, duck viral enteritis, avian influenza, West Nile, and Hepatitis E viruses, Ehrlichia chaffeensis, Anaplasma phagocytophilum, and A. odocoilei
- Uronemiasis in marine fish
- Toll-like receptor 3
- Identification of novel disease agents
- DVM (1978) Michigan State University
- PhD (1986) The University of Georgia
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
- Wildlife Scientific Advisory Board and Mountain Gorilla Veterinary Project, Morris Animal Foundation, 2000-2003
- Editor, Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 2005-present
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists, Council member, 2006-present
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists, Natural Diseases Committee, 2004-2006
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists, Examination Committee, 1999- 2002
- Respiratory Pathology
- Khoii MK, Howerth EW, Burns RB, Carmichael KP, Gyimesi ZS. Spontaneous neoplasia in four captive greater hedgehog tenrecs (Setifer setosus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 39:392-7, 2008.
- Yabsley MJ, Ellis A, Stallknecht D, Howerth E. Characterization of sarcocystis from four species of hawks from Georgia, USA. J Parasitol 14:1, 2008.
- Munderloh U.G., M.J. Yabsley, S.M. Murphy, M.P. Luttrell, E.W. Howerth. Isolation and establishment of the raccoon Ehrlichia-like agent in tick cell culture. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:418-25, 2007.
- Ellis A.E, D.G. Mead, A.B. Allison, D.E. Stallknecht, E.W. Howerth. Pathology and epidemiology of natural West Nile viral infection of raptors in Georgia. J Wildl Dis 43:214-23, 2007.
- Murphy MD, Hanson BA, Howerth EW, Stallknecht DE. Molecular characterization of epizootic hemorrhagic disease virus serotype 1 associated with a 1999 epizootic in white-tailed deer in the eastern United States. J Wildl Dis 42:616-24, 2006.
- Howerth EW, Mead DG, Mueller PO, Duncan L, Murphy MD, Stallknecht DE. Experimental vesicular stomatitis virus infection in horses: effect of route of inoculation and virus serotype. Vet Pathol 43:943-55, 2006.
- Tate CM, Mead DG, Luttrell MP, Howerth EW, Dugan VG, Munderloh UG, Davidson WR. Experimental infection of white-tailed deer with Anaplasma phagocytophilum, etiologic agent of human granulocytic anaplasmosis. J Clin Microbiol 43:3595-3601, 2005.
- Ellis AE, Mead DG, Allison AB, Gibbs SE, Gottdenker NL, Stallknecht DE, Howerth EW. Comparison of immunohistochemistry and virus isolation for diagnosis of West Nile virus. J Clin Microbiol 43:2904-8, 2005.
- Howerth EW, Parlavantzas GS, Stallknecht DE. Replication of epizootic haemorrhagic disease and bluetongue viruses in DH82 cells. Vet. Ital 40:520-524, 2004.
- Johnson ME, Howerth EW. Survivin: A bifunctional inhibitor of apoptosis protein. Vet Pathol 41:599-607, 2004.
- Varela AS, Luttrell MP, Howerth EW, Moore VA, Davidson WR, Stallknecht DE, Little SE. First culture isolation of Borrelia lonestari, putative agent of southern tick-associated rash illness. J Clin Microbiol.42:1163-9, 2004.
- Mead DG, Gray EW, Raymond N, Murphy MD, Howerth EW, Stallknecht DE. Biological transmission of vesicular stomatitis virus (New Jersey serotype) by Simulium vittatum (Diptera: Simuliidae) to domestic swine (Sus scrofa). J Med Entomol 41:78-82, 2004.
- Additional publications by Dr. Howerth may be found at PubMed.