Department of Pathology
Anatomic Pathology, Professor
- Next-Generation sequencing to diagnose and characterize viruses and to develop novel diagnostic tests for infectious diseases
- MinION sequencing: Real-time, portable sequencing
- Illumina sequencing: Deep sequencing for transcriptomics
- Chuviral encephalitis in aquatic turtles: Discovery and pathogenesis investigation
- Other projects: Pathogen discovery and in situ detection
- Diplomate, 2009, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
- PhD, 2008, Veterinary Science, Washington State University, Pullman, Wash.
- DVM, 2001, University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
- 2023 – present: Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- 2018 – 2023: Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- 2014–2018:: Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- 2010–2014: Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Pathology, Washington State University, Pullman, Wash.
- 2008–2010: Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Pathology, Washington State University, Pullman, Wash.
- Young KT, Stephens JQ, Poulson RL, Stallknecht DE, Dimitrov KM, Butt SL, Stanton JB. Putative Novel Avian Paramyxovirus (AMPV) and Reidentification of APMV-2 and APMV-6 to the Species Level Based on Wild Bird Surveillance (United States, 2016-2018). Appl Environ Microbiol. 2022 Jun 14;88(11):e0046622. doi: 10.1128/aem.00466-22. Epub 2022 May 25. PubMed PMID: 35612300; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC9195946.
- Butt SL, Erwood EC, Zhang J, Sellers HS, Young K, Lahmers KK, Stanton JB. Real-time, MinION-based, amplicon sequencing for lineage typing of infectious bronchitis virus from upper respiratory samples. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2021 Mar;33(2):179-190. doi: 10.1177/1040638720910107. Epub 2020 Mar 5. PubMed PMID: 32133932; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7201198.
- Young KT, Lahmers KK, Sellers HS, Stallknecht DE, Poulson RL, Saliki JT, Tompkins SM, Padykula I, Siepker C, Howerth EW, Todd M, Stanton JB. Randomly primed, strand-switching, MinION-based sequencing for the detection and characterization of cultured RNA viruses. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2021 Mar;33(2):202-215. doi: 10.1177/1040638720981019. Epub 2020 Dec 24. PubMed PMID: 33357075; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7953086.
- He Y, Taylor TL, Dimitrov KM, Butt SL, Stanton JB, Goraichuk IV, Fenton H, Poulson R, Zhang J, Brown CC, Ip HS, Isidoro-Ayza M, Afonso CL. Whole-genome sequencing of genotype VI Newcastle disease viruses from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissues from wild pigeons reveals continuous evolution and previously unrecognized genetic diversity in the U.S. Virol J. 2018 Jan 12;15(1):9. doi: 10.1186/s12985-017-0914-2. PubMed PMID: 29329546; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5767055.
- Additional Publications by Dr. Stanton may be found here.