- Nephrology and Urology with focus on urolithiasis, urinary incontinence, and urinary tract infections
- Nutrition with focus on role of nutrition in health and disease
Dr. Joe Bartges received his BS in zoology in 1983 from Marshall University in Huntington, WV, and his DVM from The University of Georgia in 1987. He completed an internship and residencies in small animal internal medicine and nutrition in addition to a PhD at the University of Minnesota in 1993. After a post-doctoral position at the University of Minnesota, he joined the faculty at The University of Georgia in 1994 where he remained until 1997. In 1997, he joined the faculty at The University of Tennessee where he remained until 2015. During this time he achieved Professor of Medicine and Nutrition, held the Acree Endowed Chair of Small Animal Research, and served as interim department head for approximately 2 years. He then joined the staff at Cornell University Veterinary Specialists in Stamford, CT, as an internist and nutritionist and was Adjunct Clinical Professor of Medicine and Nutrition at Cornell University. Currently, Dr. Bartges is Professor of Medicine and Nutrition in the Department of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery. He is board-certified by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (small animal internal medicine) and the American College of Veterinary Nutrition.
American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Associate Editor, 2013 – present
American Society of Veterinary Nephrology and Urology
Morris Animal Foundation
Scientific Advisory Board, 2002-2007
Chairperson, Scientific Advisory Board, 2006-2007
Veterinary Information Network
Consultant for Nephrology/Urology and Nutrition Boards, 2001-present
- Stafford JR, Bartges JW. A clinical review of pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment of uroabdomen in the dog and cat. J Vet Emerg Crit Care. 2013;23:216-29.
- Cekanova M, Uddin MJ, Bartges JW, Callens A, Legendre AM, Rathore K, Wright L, Carter A, Marnett LJ. Molecular imaging of cyclooxygenase-2 in canine transitional cell carcinomas in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2013;6:466-476.
- Olin SJ, Bartges JW, Jones RD, Bemis DA. Diagnostic accuracy of a point-of-care urine bacteriologic culture test in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2013:243:1719-1725.
- Cekanova M, Uddin MJ, Bartges JW, Rathore K, Callens A, Legendre AM, Wright L, Carters A, Marnett LJ. COX-2 expressing transitional cell carcinomas detected by fluorocoxib A, a NSAIDs as novel class of imaging agents. J Biomed Opt/ Accepted 2013.
- Bartges JW, Kirk CA, Cox S, Moyers T. Influence of Alkalinization and Acidification on Urine Saturation with Calcium Oxalate and Struvite and Bone Mineral Density in Healthy Cats. Am J Vet Res 2013;74:1347-52.
- Brock AP, Grunkemeyer VL, Fry MM, Hall JS, Bartges JW. Comparison of osmolality and refractometric readings of Hispaniolan Amazon parrot (Amazona ventralis) urine. J Avian Med Surgery. 2013;27(4):264-8.
- Allstadt SD, Lee N, Scruggs JL, Bernard J, Hecht S Callens A, Seibert R, Bartges J. Clinical rounds – Transitional cell carcinoma. Vet Med Oct 2014;109:327-333.
- Bartges JW, Sura PS, Callens A. Minilaparotomy-assisted cystotomy. In: Bonagura JD, Feldman EC, eds. Current Veterinary Therapy XV. 2014. PP 905-9.
- Mawby DI, Callens A, Bartges JW. Top ten urinary consult questions. In: Bonagura JD, Feldman EC, eds. Current Veterinary Therapy XV. 2014. PP 923-7.
- Raditic DM, Bartges JW. Evidence-based integrative medicine in clinical veterinary oncology. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2014;44:831-53
- Witzel AL, Kirk CA, Kania S, Bartges JW, Boston RC, Moyers T, Byrd H, Lauten S. Relationship of adiponectin and its multimers to metabolic indices in cats during weight change. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2015 Oct;53:70-7.
- Hamper BA, Kirk CA, Bartges JW. Apparent digestibility of two raw diets in domestic kittens. J Fel Med Surg 2015 Sep 23. pii: 1098612X15605535. [Epub ahead of print]
- Callens AJ, Bartges JW. Urinalysis. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2015 Jul;45(4):621-37
- Bartges JW, Callens AJ. Congenital diseases of the lower urinary tract. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2015 Jul;45(4):703-19
- Bartges JW. Callens AJ. Urolithiasis. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2015 Jul;45(4):747-68
- Olin SJ, Bartges JW. Urinary tract infections: treatment/comparative therapeutics. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2015 Jul;45(4):721-46
- Raditic DM, Bartges JW. Supplementing for mobility. Integrative Veterinary Care Journal Fall 2015;5(4):19-20.
- Wynn SG, Witzel AL, Bartges JW, Moyers TS, Kirk CA. Prevalence of asymptomatic urinary tract infections in morbidly obese dogs. Peer J 2016:4:e1711;DOI 10.7717/peerj.1711
- Bartges JW. Feline calcium oxalate uroliths. J Fel Med Surg. Accepted for publication 2016
- Lulich JP, Berent AC, Bartges JW, Osborne CA, Adams LG, Westropp JL. ACVIM Small Animal Consensus Recommendations on the Treatment and Prevention of Uroliths in Dogs and Cats. J Vet Intern Med Accepted for publication 2016.