Laboratory Animal Medicine Program, Population Health
Director of Office of Animal Care and Use, Professor
- Laboratory animal behavior
- Environmental enrichment
- Bioethics and animal welfare
- Research animal regulations
- Complementary/alternative medicine
- BS: Newcomb College of Tulane University, 1991
- DVM: Louisiana State Veterinary School, 1995
- MS: Veterinary Pathobiology, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1999
- Residency, Laboratory Animal Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1996-1999
- Diplomate, American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, 2003
- POPH 5202: Laboratory Animal Medicine: Husbandry, Diseases, and Management of Laboratory Animals
- POPH 5203: Techniques in Laboratory Animal Medicine
- POPH 5215: Animal Welfare
- Roulo, RM, Fishburn, JD, Alworth, L, Hoberman, AM & Smith, MA. Producing Timed-Pregnant Mongolian Gerbils for Developmental Studies. Lab Animal 42 (10) 2013
- Kelly, LM & Alworth, LC. Blood Collection Techniques for the Domestic Chicken. Lab Animal 42 (10) 2013
- Alworth, LC & Buerkle, SC. The effects of music on animal physiology, behavior and welfare. Lab Animal 42 (2) 2013.
- Paggiagliolmi, S, Crowell-Daves, SL, Alworth LC & Harvey, SB. Environmental enrichment of New Zealand White rabbits living in laboratory cages. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research. 6 (6) 343-350. 2012.
- Alworth, LC, Kelly, LM, Cooper, TL & Salyards, GW. Unassisted blood collection from unanesthetized rats and gerbils. Lab Animal 41(6) 155-156, 2012.
- Alworth, LC, Hernandez, SM & Divers, SJ. Laboratory Reptile Surgery: Principles and Techniques. JAALAS 50 (1) 11-26. 2011.
- Swennes, AG, Alworth, LC, Harvey, SB, Jones, CA, King, CS & Crowell-Davis, SL. Effects of Human Handling on Adult Laboratory Rabbit Behavior. JAALAS 50 (1) 41-45. 2011.
- Alworth, LC, Hart, KA, Kelly, LM & Harvey, SB. Transtracheal aspiration and infusion in the horse. Lab Animal 40 (9) 273-274. 2010
- Griffiths, KG, Alworth, LC, Harvey, SB & Michalski, ML. Using an intravenous catheter to carry out abdominal lavage in the gerbil. Lab Animal 39 (5) 143-148. 2010.
- Alworth, L, Ardayfio, KL, Blickman, A, Greenhill, L, Hill, W, Sharp, P, Talmage, R, Plaut, VC & Goren, MJ. Diversity in Laboratory Animal Science: Issues and Initiatives. JAALAS 49 (2)138-146. 2010.
- Alworth, L & Vasquez, V. A novel system for individually housing bullfrogs” Lab Animal 38 (10), October 2009.
- Alworth, L, Simmons, JS, Franklin, C & Fish, R. Clostridial typhlitis associated with topical antibiotic therapy is a Syrian hamster. Laboratory Animals. 43: 304-309. 2009.
- Harvey, SB, Alworth, L & Blas-Machado, U. Molar malocclusions in the laboratory pine vole (Microtus pinetorum). JAALAS. 48 (4) 412-415. 2009.
- Alworth, L & Nagy, T. What’s Your Diagnosis? Peri-urethral swelling in a female C3H/HeNCrMTV Mouse. Lab Animal. 38 (5) 2009.
- Harvey, SB, Alworth, L & Tompkins, SM. Response to Protocol Review: Why use ferrets? Lab Animal. 37 (8) 2008. (Invited)
- Alworth, L & Harvey, SB. IACUC Issues Associated with Amphibian Research. Institute for Laboratory Animal Research. 48 (3) 278-289. 2007. (Invited)
- Alworth, L, Howdeshell, KL, Ruhlen, RL, Hillaman, L & vom Saal, FS. Uterine Response to Estradiol: Low-dose Facilitation and High-dose Inhibition due to Fetal Exposure to Diethylstilbestrol (DES) and Methoxychlor in Mice. 2002. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 183: 10-22.
- Alworth LC, Harvey SB. Anatomy, Physiology, and Behavior (Chinchilla). In The Laboratory Rabbit, Guinea Pig, Hamster, and Other Rodents. Eds. Suckow, M, Stevens, K, Wilson, R. Academic Press: San Diego. 2012.