- Preventive health programs – dairy cattle
- Reproductive management of dairy cattle
- Periparturient disease management of dairy cattle
- Economic modeling of dairy management issues
- Dairy cattle housing
- DVM – North Carolina State University, 1990
- Dairy Production Medicine Residency – UC Davis-VMTRC, 1999-2000
- MPVM – UC Davis, 2001
- POPH 5230 Special Topics in Population Health – Journal Club
- POPH 5312 Ruminant Digestive Diseases Elective
- POPH 5445 Food Animal Practice Rotation
- POPH 5447 Dairy Production Medicine Rotation
- POPH 5447 Advanced Dairy Production Medicine Rotation
- POPH 5900 Special Topics in Population Health
- POPH 6120 Food Animal Production Medicine Clinical Rounds
- POPH 6160 Special Problems in Food Animal Medicine
- POPH 6230 Problems in Epidemiology and Statistics
- POPH 6700 Clinical Food Animal Medicine
- POPH 8160 Scientific Writing
- POPH 8900 Introduction to Food Animal Epidemiology
- ADSC 8710 Special topics (Research)
Courses Taught as Team Instructor
- FRES 1010 Intro to Veterinary Medicine
- LAMS 5160 Large Animal Infectious Diseases
- LAMS 5230 LA Med I: Urology, Hematology, and Endocrinology
- LAMS 5350 LA Digestive Diseases
- POPH 5200 Management for Food Animal Health and Production
- VPHY 5170 Comparative Nutrition
- Rollin, E., R.D. Berghaus, P. Rapnicki, S.M. Godden, and M.W. Overton, “The effect of injectable butaphosphan and cyanocobalamin on postpartum serum beta-hydroxybutyrate, calcium, and phosphorus concentrations in dairy cattle”, J. Dairy Sci. 2010
- Sreekumari, R. R.D. Berghaus, M.W. Overton, M.E. Pence, and C.A. Baldwin, “Comparison of fluorescent antibody and microscopic agglutination testing for Leptospira in pregnant and nonpregnant cows”, J Vet Diagn Invest 2010 22:51-54.
- De Vries, A., M.W. Overton, J. Fetrow, K. Leslie, S. Eicker, G. Rogers, “Exploring the impact of sexed semen on the structure of the dairy industry”, J Dairy Sci. 2008, 91:847-856.
- Fetrow, J., M.W. Overton, S. Eicker. “Sexed Semen: Economics of a New Technology”, Bovine Practitioner 2007 Vol. 41, No. 2: 88-99.
- Vanegas, J, M.W. Overton, S.L. Berry, W.M. Sischo. “Effect of Rubber Flooring on Claw Health in Lactating Dairy Cows Housed in Free-Stall Barns,” J. Dairy Sci 2006 Nov;89(11): 4251-8
- Urdaz JH, M.W. Overton, D.A. Moore, J.E. Santos. “Effects of adding shade and fans to a feedbunk sprinkler system for preparturient cows on health and performance”J Dairy Sci. 2006 Jun;89(6):2000-6.
- Overton, M.W., “Cost comparison of natural service sires and artificial insemination for dairy cattle reproductive management. Theriogenology. 2005 Aug;64(3):589-602.
- Overton, M.W., W.M. Sischo, “Comparison of reproductive performance by artificial insemination versus natural service sires in California dairies”. Theriogenology. 2005 Aug;64(3):603-13.
- Moore D.A., M.W. Overton, R.C. Chebel, M.L. Truscott, R.H. BonDurant, “Evaluation of factors that affect embryonic loss in dairy cattle”. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2005 Apr 1;226(7):1112-8.