Department of Physiology and Pharmacology
Neurology | Neurophysiology
- Drug and alcohol abuse
- Stress and anxiety
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2008-2013, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- PhD in Neuroscience, 2008, Emory University
- BA, 2001, University of Virginia
- Publications by Dr. Schank may be found at
- Sequeira MK, Nelson BS, Fulenwider HD, King CE, Nennig SE, Bohannon JB, Cheng K, Rice KC, Heilig M, Schank JR (2018) The neurokinin-1 receptor mediates escalated alcohol intake induced by multiple drinking models. Neuropharmacology, in press.
- Fulenwider HD, Smith BM, Nichenko AS, Carpenter JM, Nennig SE, Cheng K, Rice KC, Schank JR (2018) Cellular and behavioral effects of lipopolysaccharide treatment are dependent upon neurokinin-1 receptor activation. Journal of Neuroinflammation, 15(1): 60.
- Nelson BS, Sequeira MK, Schank JR (2018) Bidirectional Relationship between Alcohol Intake and Sensitivity to Social Defeat: Association with Tacr1 and Avp Expression. Addiction Biology, 23(1):142-153.
- Nennig SE, Fulenwider HD, Chimberoff SH, Smith BM, Sequeira MK, Eskew JE, Karlsson C, Liang C, Chen J, Heilig M, Schank JR (2017) Selective silencing of nuclear factor kB activated cells in the nucleus accumbens shell attenuates alcohol reward. Neuropsychopharmacology, in press.
- Nennig SE, Schank JR (2017) The Role of NFkB in Drug Addiction: Beyond Inflammation. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 52(2):172-179.
- Schank JR, Nelson BS, Damadzic R, Tapocik JD, Yao M, King CE, Rowe KE, Cheng K, Rice KC, Heilig M (2015) Neurokinin-1 receptor antagonism attenuates neuronal activity triggered by stress-induced reinstatement of alcohol seeking. Neuropharmacology, 99: 106-114.
- Schank JR (2014) The Neurokinin-1 Receptor in Addictive Processes. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 351: 2-8.
- Schank JR, King CE, Sun H, Cheng K, Rice KC , Heilig M, Weinshenker D, Schroeder JP (2014) The role of the neurokinin-1 receptor in stress-induced reinstatement of alcohol and cocaine seeking. Neuropsychopharmacology, 39(5): 1093-1101.
- Schank JR, Tapocik JD, Barbier E, Damadzic R, Eskay RL, Sun H, Rowe KE, King CE, Yao M, Flanigan ME, Solomon MG, Karlsson C, Cheng K, Rice KC, Heilig M. (2013) TacR1 gene variation and NK1R expression associates with antagonist efficacy in genetically selected alcohol preferring rats. Biological Psychiatry, 73(8): 774-781.
- Schank JR, Ryabinin AE, Giardino WJ, Ciccocioppo R, Heilig M. (2012) Stress related neuropeptides and addictive behaviors: Beyond the usual suspects. Neuron, 76(1): 192-208.
- Schank JR, Goldstein AL, Rowe KE, King CE, Marusich JA, Wiley JL, Carroll FI, Thorsell A, Heilig M. (2012) The kappa opioid receptor antagonist JDTic attenuates alcohol seeking and withdrawal anxiety. Addiction Biology, 17(3): 634-647.
- Schank JR, Pickens CL, Rowe KE, Cheng K, Thorsell A, Rice KC, Shaham Y, Heilig M (2011) Stress-induced reinstatement of alcohol seeking in rats is selectively suppressed by the neurokinin 1 (NK1) antagonist L822429. Psychopharmacology (Berl), 218(1): 111-119.
- Schank JR, Liles LC, Weinshenker D (2008) Norepinephrine signaling through b-adrenergic receptors is critical for expression of cocaine-induced anxiety. Biological Psychiatry, 63: 1007-1012.
- Schank JR, Puglisi-Allegra S, Ventura R, Alcaro A, Cole CD, Liles LC, Seeman P, Weinshenker D (2006) Dopamine b-hydroxylase knockout mice have alterations in dopamine signaling and are hypersensitive to cocaine. Neuropsychopharmacology, 31: 2221-30.