Small Animal Emergency & Critical Care
Our Emergency Service is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of animals needing urgent or emergency care for illness or injury.
Call 706.542.3221 for cat, dog, exotic animal or wildlife emergencies.
This service has a separate entrance from our main small animal lobby and a covered drop-off area for your convenience. (View parking map)
Emergencies do not require a referral or an appointment. However, we do ask that you please call ahead to let us know you are on your way so we can be better prepared for your arrival. We will also ask you for contact information for your regular veterinarian, so that we can keep him/her updated on your animal's condition.
Our Critical Care Service is also staffed 24/7 and is responsible for caring for animals in our Intensive Care Unit (ICU). This may include those needing:
- 24-hour monitoring by trained technicians and veterinarians
- Intravenous fluid therapyoxygen support for severe respiratory difficulty
- Mechanical ventilation for respiratory failure
- Blood transfusions
- Intravenous medications for support of blood pressure
- Monitoring and treatment of abnormal heart beats (arrhythmias)
- Intravenous or tube feedings for nutritional support
- Intensive management of pain
The Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care Services at the University of Georgia are supervised by two critical care specialists and work in conjunction with specialists in other hospital services.