Business Manager – Athens Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
To apply, click here and search for posting number 20162210
The Athens Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at UGA is searching for a new Business Manager. This is a very responsible professional administrative position in the AVDL. Work involves control and oversight over a variety of administrative functions including: control of extensive supplies expenditures; budget support and planning; business development and outreach; staff supervision and human resources support. Duties are performed under the general supervision of the Director, but the position requires significant independence.
Specific duties are as follows:
Business Management – 50% time:
- Establishes and maintains a “business friendly” environment within the AVDL by developing and implementing periodic customer service training programs.
- Liaises with Quality Manager to support the administrative and accessioning requirements for the quality system. Oversees the response to client complaints, performs root-cause analysis and corrective/preventive actions, ensures administrative and accessioning staff are trained and authorized for duties, and serves on the Quality Committee.
- Participates in monthly faculty meetings, writes/distributes the minutes of those meetings, prepare reports, etc.; assists the Director in planning upcoming meetings.
- Assists the Director in preparation and administration of the operating budgets for AVDL; supervises and participates in the preparation and processing of budget amendments.
- Effectively manages equipment and supplies purchasing of over $1million per year. Works with laboratory managers and suppliers to locate and negotiate for the most competitive and responsive sources of supplies and services available. Takes advantage of rebate opportunities in a timely manner. Prepares sole-source justifications as necessary.
- Analyzes operating expenses and suggests ways of streamlining procurement processes and using resources more efficiently.
- Serves as primary liaison with IT support services to ensure CVM/AVDL website is up-to-date with current services and marketing posture in conjunction with the Director and Outreach Services Chief. Also serves as primary contact with CVM facilities ensuring adequate response to and coverage of AVDL needs.
- Assists faculty with budget development for grants/contracts and managing current grant budgets including the impact on staffing and supplies purchases.
- Supervises the writing and updating of AVDL administrative support services standard operating procedures in consultation with the Quality Manager.
- Manages payroll for AVDL including monitoring and approving hourly, salaried, and monthly payroll resolving problems with employees and supervisors as necessary. Completes all personnels via CMAS or other UGA/CVM required systems, inputs leave requests to eLeave.
- Performs other duties as delegated by the Director.
Outreach and Business Development – 25% time:
- Develops a thorough understanding of the competitive environment in which the Georgia Veterinary Diagnostic Labs operate in order to significantly contribute to the development of operational and financial goals, policies, procedures, and budgets.
- Continuously performs research and analysis of AVDL caseload in relation to national business trends and prepares reports for the Director to take actions that will promote business growth. Maintains appropriate records and develops related correspondence.
- Develops programs and materials to promote AVDL services including working with CVM public relations and the Outreach Services Chief to develop and distribute brochures, annual reports, electronic newsletters and updating the website.
- Develops, administers, and analyzes annual client surveys. Formulates and suggests to Director appropriate corrective actions to address client concerns.
- Coordinates visits to veterinary clinics in consultation with the Director and Outreach Services Chief.
- Assist Director and Outreach Services Chief with planning and implementing continuing education workshops aimed at maintaining our clientele.
Personnel Management and human resources support – 25% time:
- Hires, trains, conducts performance evaluations, and directly supervises AVDL administrative and accessioning staff. Conducts regular staff meetings to ensure quality administrative services to AVDL internal and external clients.
- Coordinates continuous training opportunities for AVDL staff including new employee orientation, annual safety training, and special training events. Conducts follow-up assessments.
- Supports the personnel function at AVDL including the management of employee relations issues, annual performance evaluation processes, dissemination of UGA policies and procedures, and employee recognition and engagement activities and events.
Education: Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, or a related discipline with four (4) years of related experience required; or eight (8) years related administrative or management experience, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Considerable knowledge of budgeting and management.
- Ability to communicate effectively via telephone, email, and in person to various stakeholders.
- Previous experience in a veterinary setting and/or knowledge on how veterinary clinics function is preferable.
- Possess organizing and coordinating skills and the ability to mobilize and use resources.
- Ability to utilize computer technology for all applications in a manner that meets performance expectations. Knowledge and/or experience in graphic design, basic web maintenance, online business tools (such as mail chimp, chat, and survey monkey) would be a plus.
- Ability to produce and maintain complex reports and records using a variety of software packages including (but not limited to) Microsoft Suite, Adobe Photoshop, and Acrobat.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues; ability to remember, organize, and consistently focus on a large amount of detail and come to appropriate conclusions.
- Skilled in the use of office management and supervision principles and procedures.