Welcome To Continuing Education
Welcome to the Office of Continuing Education at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine. We offer a variety of quality courses and wet labs each calendar year for veterinarians, veterinary technicians, assistants, and the public. To view and register for upcoming CE conferences, visit the CE calendar page.
For more continuing education opportunities, visit the GVMA CE website.
Our office can be reached at 706.540.4073, or you can email the Continuing Education Coordinator at email@example.com.
Continuing education requirements for Georgia veterinarians
Veterinarians must obtain 30 credit hours of Board-approved continuing education every two years (each “renewal period” falls in even-numbered years) to maintain an active license to practice in Georgia.
As of Jan. 1, 2009, two of the 30 hours per renewal period must be acquired in Georgia laws, rules and professionalism. You must keep a record of credit hours and proof of attendance for three years.
Blanket approval is given to:
- any national, state, or international veterinary association meeting
- USDA and GA Dept of Agriculture sponsored programs
- meetings of board certified specialties recognized by the AVMA
- classes and programs sponsored by an accredited veterinary school/college
- all AAVSB RACE approved programs
- any GVMA constituent association program
- any AAHA program
- any US Animal Health Association or Southern Animal Health Association programs
- any course approved by another state board
Approval is given to:
- veterinary audio review (up to 3 hours)
- journal studies with follow-up testing (up to 3 hours)
- interactive computer courses with follow-up testing (up to 15 hours)
- hospital management (up to 5 hours)
- any meeting (up to 20 hours)
- any program (up to 12 hours per day)
Not approved for credit:
- Welcoming remarks
- Business sessions
- Unstructured demonstrations
- Degree programs
For detailed information, visit the Georgia Board of Veterinarians website.